Monday, June 25, 2012

Altered Dress Form Tutorial

I think I've found another facet of art that is very addictive...altering dress forms! This is my first attempt at creating one of these. It was a challenge for the Scribbles & Giggles store to see what each staff member/designer could come up with. As I was deciding what to do I had so many different ideas for other themes I could try. So needless to say this will probably be just the start of dress form creations! I have a vision of placing them all over the ledge above my kitchen cabinets...now all I need to do is find some time to create them!

The original idea for decorating dress forms as a challenge came from the Ranger booth at Winter CHA 2012. The had many designers create unique altered dress forms and then they were displayed against a backdrop of vintage doors. See some of those creations by clicking on the following links.
http://rangerink.com/designers-challenge-2012-day-1/
http://rangerink.com/designers-challenge-2012-day-2/
http://rangerink.com/designers-challenge-2012-day-3/
http://rangerink.com/designers-challenge-2012-day-4/

Here is my creation:


 First I painted the dress form with a couple different pink acrylic paints and then I used matte Glue & Seal to attach different sized strips of Tim Holtz tissue wrap over the painted area. Then I misted over that with Perfect Pearl Mist.
Then I used some cream cardstock to make a basic dress shape. This step wasn't very pretty but it was covered up with the paper ruffles.
Then I selected some Prima and BoBunny papers that I had left over and cut them into 2"x 12" strips.

 These strips were then misted with Perfect Pearl mist in the Pearl color and while they were still wet I formed them in to ruffles. I tried to make the ruffles similar sizes and space them out evenly. Then I dried the ruffles with my heat tool.



 Then starting at the bottom, I began to attach the ruffles around the cardstock skirt using hot glue. It took about two 12" strips to reach around the skirt, except for the very first layer which needed three strips. I also tried to overlap the strips so that it looked like one continuous piece.

For the stand I used an old candle holder I found at a local thrift store and hot glued the dress form on top.


I kept adding layers until the skirt was completely full and there were hot glue gun strings everywhere! To get rid of these strings just heat up the area with a heat tool.



I couldn't find any wings that I was happy with so I ended up making my own from some jewelry wire, white tissue paper, beads and Golden Gloss Gel Medium.  I didn't take any pictures of this step but basically I made four wing shapes with the wire (two larger and two smaller), twisting the ends of each piece together so it would stay in the shape. Then I applied LOTS of white tissue paper over the metal shape using the Golden Gel. Once I was happy with the thickness I put down some more Gel and then dumped some small sparkling beads onto the wings and allowed these to dry into the Gel Medium.

For the trim around the waist I misted two pieces of Tim Holtz flower ribbon with yellow and teal Glimmer Mists, dried them and hot glued them onto the waist to hide the seam of the skirt.
Then I hot glued on two white feathers the the four wings to the dress form's back. To hide the place where the wings connect, I hot glued a butterfly pendant from an old necklace.




Finally, I started the process of decorating it. I misted lots of I AM Roses flowers with different Glimmer Mists, attached some rhinestone flourishes, butterflies and metal accents I had in my stash. Finally, I added some mini Close to my Heart rhinestones to the skirt in random places to add some extra twinkle.







Well that is all for today...I hope you have an inspired and creative day!
 Thanks for stopping by,

Chelsey

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...